Travel Map

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Yesterday- Burlington and a Whale




You never know where a day of travel may take you. I was having some computer issues and I had to go to a store called Small Dog Electronics around here. While I was there, the cashier told me to check out the whale statue down the road. This statue was placed there because there was a beluga whale fossil found there in the 1800's. I got pretty excited about this and decided to go on an adventure to learn more about this little fella!

My journey to learn more about this whale took me to Burlington, VT. While I was there I decided to take a bike ride to the museum along Lake Champlain. I ended up riding about 7 miles and then it was too floody (do you like my new adjective?). Anyways, I ended up riding my bike to a museum called ECHO and I got to see a fossil of a beluga whale. I included a picture of a beluga whale fossil diagram so you can tell what the bones are etc. Much of western Vermont used to be covered by sea water. This beluga died and was covered by materials and became a fossil. They think the beluga lived about 12,500 years ago. Here is a link with some more info on the little guy: http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Vermont/VT-fossil-whale.html


On a side note, I ate a most excellent dinner at a place called the Skinny Pancake with my sister. YUMMERS. I also went to see the capital building in Montpelier at night. More exploring to come!


BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS:

Non-fiction recommendation is Great Migrations: Whales by Laura Marsh

Fiction and a very bizarre fiction at that is called Whales on Stilts: M.T. Anderson. This book includes a whale that shoots laser beams from its eyes. A little violent, but not too bad.



2 comments:

  1. I read the book Wales on Stilts I liked it. Joey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you liked that book, Joey! How is your summer going? Are you having fun?

    ReplyDelete